Videos, Photos and Other intersting things
This page contains 914/6 videos, photos and other interesting things that I have found
and collected over the years.
If you have trouble viewing a video you can save it to your PC then view it from your hard drive.
This should take care of any problems.
These videos should play on your smart phone.
- The following link is a Pro-Am celebrity race held in 1970 at the opening of Ontario Speedway
in Southern California using 914-6s. Approximately 4 minutes, 103 MB, MP4.
Celebrity 914 Race.
Here is a photo from that race. Ontario 914-6
A Poster was commissioned for this event. Hollyweird 914/6
And a press release was put out about the event. Press Release
There is a short thread about the fate of the cars used in this race on 914 World.
- This is a Porsche factory video documenting the 1971 ADAC 1000KM race at the Nurnburgring.
Commentary is in German and is primarally focused on the 908s, 917s, Ferraris and Alfa Romeos at the front of the
pack but there are quite a few shots of 914/6s and 911s in competition.
Approximately 9 and a half minutes, 234 MB, MP4.
- This is a Factory video showing all the Porsches that were available to buy in the 1970s.
Lots of good shots of 914s being tested. In German. 5:46, about 86MB.
1970 Street Cars
- This is a Factory video showing hilites of a few races and rallies from the 1970s
Lots of good on track shots of 917s, 935s and some 914/6 GTs. In German. About 30 Min, 770MB!
1970 Racing Decade
- Brian Redman practicing for the 1970 Targa Florio in a 914/6.
About 2 minutes, 48 MB, MP4.
- An interesting period video of a Ralph Meaney 914/6 and 911 at the 6 hour race at Watkins Glen in 1970.
The 914 finished 20th overall and 5th in class, the last car classified as finishing.
About 16 minutes, 83 MB, MP4. Strange 1970s music.
- Here is video clip of a race from Rennsport Reunion 1 held at Lime Rock in 2001.
Approximately 1 and a half minutes, 36 MB, MP4.
This video quality isn't very good because this was converted from a not very good VHS tape.
RR1 914 race
- This video clip, also from Rennsport Reunion 1, shows Paul Newmans crash in a Brumos 914.
Approximately 1 minute 50 seconds, 45 MB, MP4.
This video quality of this isn't very good because this was converted from a not very good VHS tape.
PLN 914 Crash.
And this is a photo of the car being towed in afterwards. Tow Truck
- A short video clip about a 914/6 GT in England.
Approximately 1:45, 23 MB, MP4.
- This is a link to a Youtube video of a pretty nice 914/6. Blue 914-6
- This is a link to a very interesting Youtube video about Porsche Classic. About 10 minutes. Classic
- This is a 30 second TV comercial for the 911 but there is a brief glimpse of a 914/ GT in a crowd of other race cars.
13 MB, MP4.
- This is a 1 minute TV comercial in English for Porsche.
3.8 MB, MP4.
- This link has a bunch of videos about Other Porsches.
Photos, Advertisements and Cutouts
914/6 Advertisements and Posters
Lets start with a couple newspaper advertisements.
- Newspaper ad for 914s from March 1971. 914 Newspaper
- Another Newspaper ad for a 914/6 from March 1971. Wouldn't you like to see an ad like this in your local newspaper today? Not sure what its worth
Here are some Posters that at least mention 914s.
Various other magazine advertisements.
Porsche put out a series of ads about the virtues of 914s.
Other 914 advertisements.
Vintage 914/6 Photos
The 914 was used as a pace car at some significant races.
- A 914/6 was the pace car at Daytona for a pair of NASCAR race in the early 1970s. This could never happen today. Daytona1 and Daytona2
- A 914 was used as a pace car at the Canadian GP at Mosport in the mid 1970s. Mosport
- A pair of 914s were on track at the start of the Daytona 24 Hours. Daytona 24
- A 914 was the pace car for a CRASHCAR race at Riverside in the early 1970s. CRASHCAR
- It seems Riverside used a 914 to pace other races as well. Riverside
- And another one served as a pace car at Elkhart Lake. Elkhart
- One was used as a pace car in Canada for the Player's Challenge series. Players
- 914s were used for driver introductions. These photos look like Mid Ohio. Minter...Lothar
- And one was the pace car for a Can-Am race. Can-Am
- Porsche put out an advertisement with a 914 pacing a Can-Am race. Can-Am
Cutaways and cutouts
- 914World member DUG put together an interesting Engine Number vs Chassis Number chart. Engine vs Chassis
- This is a chart from Hagerty Insurance about 914/6 valuations in the USA as of Dec 2015. Valuations 2015
- Here is the same chart from Sept 2016 to use as a comparison to the valuation above. Valuations 2016
- * * A very interesting article in the San Diego Region PCA December 2007 newsletter, Windblown Witness, about 914 aerodynamics. This starts on page 50. About 11MB. Aerodynamics
- This is a kind of interesting article from the August 1988 issue of Panorama about 914s. Know how
- This article also from Panorama is mostly about the 914/4 but a lot of it applies to the /6 as well. debug
914/6 Road Tests and magazine articles
- Road & Track tested the 914-6 when it was new in 1970. Road n Track
- Panorama also did a road test of the 914-6 in 1970. Panorama
- Excellence had an article about the last 914/6 ever made. Last One
Magazine Articles about the 916
- Here is the Road & Track review of the 916 from 1972. One that never was
- Here is a review of that same 916 that appeared in Panorama in 1986. Pano 916
- Excellence magazine published an article about the same car in 1994. Excellence 916
Magazine Articles and other information about 914/6 GTs and M471 cars
- In 1996 there was an article in Panorama about some of the mysteries of the 914/6 GTs. GT Mysteries
- This article from Excellence is about the rarest 914/6s, the M471 optioned cars. M471
- This article about the LeMans class winning 914/6 GT appeared in the April 1994 issue of Panorama. Sonauto
- This is an article from the June 1991 issue of Panorama about the Daytona winning 914/6 GT. Sunoco
- One of the 914/6 GTs that ran in the 1970 Marathon de la Route was written up in Panorama in 1984. Marathon
- Here is a Panorama article about the Brumos 914/6 GT from 1988. Brumos 1988
- Here is the Excellence article about the same car from 1992. Brumos 1992
- Some lucky guy got to drive the Brumos GT at Daytona for Rennsport III. Brumos Daytona
- Excellence did a track test of a 914/6 GT in 2007. Alan Johnson GT
- The Max Moritz GT was written about in the Feb 2005 issue of Excellence. Moritz
- Here is a 914/6 that was converted to race with the SCCA in 1970. SCCA Racer
- Here is an article about the Tangerine Scream. Scream
Road & Track had several articles about the 914/4
- In 1970 they tested the 914-4
- From its earliest days people have recognized the performance potential of the 914 chassis and have been
hot rodding this little beast. Here is an article about a 914 that someone stuffed an American V8 in back in 1970.
Hot rodding these cars with engine swaps is not something new. 914-V8
- In 1973 R&T tested the new and improved 2 liter 914-4. Two Liter
- They did a comparison test of four sports cars including the 914-4. Four Fun Ones
- Here is a road test of the 914-4 and its SCCA showroom stock competitors of the era. SCCA
- This is an interesting test of cars with various engine and drive configurations. Article
And then there are these road tests and other articles about Porsche from Road & Track
Over the years Road and Track Magazine has done a lot of Road Tests of Porsches.
I found the following road tests to be interesting.
- Here is a Road Test of the 356 Speedster from 1955. Speedster
- Here is a Road Test of the 356 Carrera from 1956. Carrera
- They Road Tested a 550 Spyder in 1957. 550
- And in 1964 R&T road tested a 904 while Porsche was busy doing some testing of their own. Test 1 and Test 2
- For those of us who like turbocharging there is a Tale of 3 Turbos
complete with Magazine Cover
- This is an interesting top speed shoot out between a 962 and a NASCAR stocker How Fast were they going?
- In 1986 R&T tested a pair of 911s, a 944 & a 928 1986
- In 1987 they tested one of every 944 in production Red 944s
- They also tested a preproduction 959 preprod
- Later they tested a production version 959 production
- Autoweek also tested a production version 959 with Al Holbert at the wheel 959 Autoweek
- Here is one of the famous Road & Track high speed shootout articles. These are always fun. Texas Shootout
- And if that is too much speed for you there is always the test of the 924S
- In 1998 Brian Redman tested 6 Porsche Race Cars
Non Porsche stuff that I found interesting.
- Here is an article from Motor Trend about the cost of racing. Can Am Racing 1967
- Autoweek had a very interesting report on the Ford GT40 reunion held at Watkins Glen in 1989 GT 40 Reunion
Last Update July 2018